At Golden Key, we value our Advisors and all they do to ensure our chapters succeed. These hardworking university faculty, staff and administrators volunteer their time to help Golden Key develop and maintain high standards of education. In order to show our appreciation, we’ve decided to spotlight some of these great people. This February, we are spotlighting Pat Caro, M.Ed. from the University of Texas at El Paso.
- What is your role at the University of Texas at El Paso?
I am the Director of the Academic Advising Center on the UTEP campus. The Center provides academic advising and guidance for freshmen/sophomores in specific majors and/or programs; as well as guidance to entering and prospective students.
- How long have you been a Golden Key Advisor?
I was the GK advisor at UTEP about 10 years ago; and become advisor again in 2011.
- How do you make an impact as a Golden Key advisor? Tell us a little about your chapter.
Our chapter just started up again in Fall 2011 I was able to get help through my campus network to persuade active UTEP students to step into officer roles. I believe that my campus contacts are important in assisting GK officers and members in their pursuit and accomplishment of various goals.
- What do you enjoy most about being a GK Advisor?
I really enjoy working with the officers; they are such creative people. And their enthusiasm and energy is incredible. We have embarked a many volunteer projects, some which I thought we wouldn’t be able to staff….but they are really motivating their peers to get involved!
- What is your favorite GK-related experience or memory?
We had a slow start in 2011, but once the officers were in place, I have been amazed at the work they have been able to do in 2012. Our president has been a great leader and he is extremely positive and supportive of the officers. I enjoyed the 2012 campus festival, Minerpalooza; it was the first activity that brought officers and members together on campus to work together.
- What are some of your hobbies?
I enjoy reading and listening to music.
- Where are you from/ where did you grow up?
I am a native Texan! Born and raised in El Paso, Texas.
- What place in the world would you most like to visit?
Would love to go back to Washington DC; I was there once 90’s for a work conference, but want to go back on vacation!
- Notepad or iPad?
I’m a list maker, so Notepad….but will be trying my hand at iPad this semester!!
- What is your favorite candy bar?
Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate…… love me a 3 Musketeers!
- If you didn’t work in academics, what do you think you would be doing?
I truly enjoy working and helping young people; so working with youth.